Tuesday, January 12, 2010

You're being watched - with help from the kids

So we were out and about running errands the other day, when I ran into an old friend and colleague of mine. Haven't seen him for years, but we just picked up where we left off all that time ago... So we're catching up when all of a sudden he says, "So I see the kids' Facebook pages, they sure are growing, aren't they? And I don't see your wife out there with a Facebook, what's up with that?

I guess I was a little taken aback, and before my brain caught up with my mouth, I heard myself say, "What, are you stalking me or something?!?".

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, after all, the Facebook demographic is definitely trending older, but I guess it didn't register that distant contacts may still know everything I'm up to, or at least, everything I post on Facebook. Here was this guy, not one you would consider technically adept, but here he is keeping up on me & the family. Face it, Facebook is officially EVERYWHERE, and what you put out on it - or even the fact that you're not on it - says a lot about you.

But then I started thinking a little deeper; what do the kids have of ME out there on their pages? Do you know what your kids have on their pages of YOU? Look again at that picture from Christmas Day, with that glass of wine in your hand, and caught in a near-blink - you know what your condition was at that point, but what does it look like to everyone else?
I took this occasion to remind the kids about the pictures they post. Typically it's a straight dump of every snapshot on the camera; but instead I asked them, 'Does Mom know you put that picture of her out there?" "You may know 'Uncle Fred' was just dozing on the couch, but what does this scene look like if you didn't know the details?" And so on...

And in case you didn't know, you can indeed un-tag yourself from photos that other people put on Facebook...

No comments: